❄ ❄ ❄ Rile Smith’s CRANBERRY TEA LOAF❄ ❄ ❄
loosely adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook
Ingredients: 2 cups flour; 1/2 cup sugar; 1/2 tsp salt; 1 tbs baking powder; pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg; zest of 2 oranges; 2/3 cups orange juice or apple cider; 1 tsp vanilla; two beaten eggs; 3 tbs melted butter; 2 cups cranberries; butter for pan
1. Preheat oven to 350°F; butter an 8″ loaf pan or two small pans.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. (Okay, we never bother sifting and you don’t need to, either.)
3. Stir together wet ingredients – melted butter last.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry mix and pour in the wet mixture, plus the orange zest.
5. Mix from the center out, gently. Don’t over-mix. Your batter should be lumpy.
6. Fold the cranberries into the batter gently.
7. Scoop into loaf pan(s) and bake until a sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes for a large loaf. Cool before removing from pan. This recipe is easily doubled.